Mr David Goosen
David Goosen coordinates and lectures all the Mathematics programmes offered by AKAD+. He matriculated from Hoërskool Vorentoe (Rossmore, Johannesburg) in 1995 with 7 distinctions, which included distinctions in Mathematics and Advanced Mathematics. He completed his BSc degree in Actuarial Science through the Rand Afrikaans University (now the University of Johannesburg) in 1999. In his first year he was awarded the prize for the Best Student in Mathematics 1 by the Faculty of Science. In 2000 he started his career at NMG Consultants and Actuaries as a Junior Actuarial Consultant. Clients in his portfolio included Anglo American, BHP Billiton and Famous Brands. He then moved on to Absa Life's actuarial valuation department. In 2006 he made a career change and started lecturing at CTI Education Group. During his time at CTI he was the subject head and lecturer of Quantitative Methods and Introductory Financial Mathematics for all campuses in Gauteng. Six years later he joined the University of Johannesburg (UJ) as a lecturer at the Department of Statistics. In the 7 years he was at UJ, he has lectured Financial Mathematics, Mathematics for Teachers, Analytical Techniques, Biological & Environmental Statistics, Advanced Biological & Environmental Statistics, Statistics for Engineers and Basic Numeracy for the Humanities. He was involved with teacher training in FET Mathematics through UJ’s Soweto Science Centre. He is fascinated by the use of technology in the classroom and has been pivotal with development of technology and material for students having challenges with Mathematics.
Some of his other accomplishments include:
- completing 104 hours of flight time as a Private Pilot as part of former Gauteng premier Tokyo Sexwale's The Sky is No Limit pilot training programme, where he finished as one of the final ten matriculants selected from over the whole of Gauteng to complete their private pilot's licences
- sea kayaking the Garden Route
- hiking the Tsitsikamma and Cederberg Hiking Trails
- tree canopying the Knysna forest
- bungee jumping at Gouritsmond